A Book about Positive Relationships.
The story starts with the Shamu show in Sea world, San Diego. How can the killer whales perform a show with a series of astonishing, acrobatic leaps and dives?
1. Build trust
2. Accentuate the positive
3. When mistakes occur, redirect the energy
The ABC’s of performance:
A = Activator Whatever gets the performance going
B = Behavior The performance that occurs
C = Consequence Your response to the performance
4 kinds of consequences:
1. No response
2. Negative response
4. Positive response
Describe the error or problem as soon as possible, clearly and without blame
- Show its negative impact
- If appropriate, take the blame for not making the task clear
- Go over the task in detail and make sure it is clearly understood
- Express your continuing trust and confidence in the person
Praise progress, it’s a moving target!
The Whale Done response:
- Praise people immediately
- Be specific about what they did right or almost right
- Share your positive feelings about what they did
- Encourage them to keep up the good work
GOTcha: Catching people doing things wrong.
Whale Done! : Catching people doing thing right.
A Must Read Book for anyone who is looking for a change/improvement in behavior.